Pumpkin Pie is not commonly made in the UK, which I personally think is a pity. I first made it a few years ago at Halloween because I had surplus pumpkin flesh left over from lantern carving and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it; sweetly spiced, very seasonal and rather reminiscent of egg custard tarts.
Today I am making mini pumpkin pies because I will be taking them to a Halloween party this afternoon and thought that I would share my own, UK friendly recipe. Enjoy!
Mini pumpkin pies
The flesh of one medium sized pumpkin (approx 500g/ 1lb when cooked & drained)
50g (1.5oz) soft dark brown sugar
30g (1oz) butter
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Pinch of finely ground white pepper (optional)
A few drops of vanilla extract
200g (half a can) of condensed milk
3 large eggs
Shortcrust pastry (I used shop bought to save time)
Pre-heat your oven to 200°C
1. Grease a mini muffin tin / tart tin and line each hole with a shortcrust pastry for the case.
2. Cook the pumpkin flesh (either in a pan with a small amount of water or in a steamer) for 10 minutes or until very soft and tender.
3. Cool slightly then press the cooked flesh in a colander to remove any excess water.
4. Add the butter, brown sugar, spices and vanilla and blend or mash well. Leave to cool.
5. Beat in the condensed milk, then beat in the eggs one at a time.
6. Use a ladle to fill each case with the pumpkin mixture. You will have a lot left over! I like to put the leftover in silicone cake cases and make little pumpkin pie filling bites.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top of the filling is slightly golden.
8. Use a butter knife to run around the edge of each mini pie to loosen them then use it to carefully lift them onto a cooling rack. When they are cool enough put them on a plate in the fridge for a couple of hours.
I like to sift a mixture of icing sugar and a dash of cinnamon over the top before serving.
You could, of course, make a full sized pie with all of the filling. Increase the cooking time appropriately and remove from the oven when the middle is just set.
I baked my leftover filling in heart shaped cases….
If you try it, let me know what you think!