OK this is not so festive as it could be but since I am still working on the finishing touches of my advent calendar this is what I have to offer…!
I am often disappointed by lemon based recipes because they are so frequently not lemony enough! So when I call this “zesty” please take that to mean “if you don’t like a tart tart then do please add half again the amount of sugar and/or reduce the number of lemons. ” that said it is, in my humble opinion, delicious and just lemony enough with an almost cheesecake texture…
A block of shortcrust or sweetcrust pastry.
6 large eggs
300g caster sugar
zest and juice of 6 lemons
200ml double cream
You will also need a pie or tart dish of some description, mine was 25cm diameter
Preheat the oven to 200°C
1. roll out the pastry thinly, dust with flour and use it to line your dish. You can pretty up the edges a bit here if you like.
2. blind bake the pastry case until the bottom/ middle is just cooked. (I line the pastry with greaseproof paper and pop a 20cm cake tin inside to keep the bottom flat.)
3. meanwhile beat the eggs, sugar, lemon zest and juice together. Beat in the cream.
4. when the pastry case is ready decrease the oven temperature to 180°C
5. pour the filling into the case, leaving about 1/2cm – 1cm gap at the top. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until just set in the middle. Leave in the dish to cool.
6. enjoy! Delicious served with cream to tone down the tartness